Friday, April 2, 2010

Tiny, perfect, local organic greens

I am so thrilled that the Farmer's Market at Swiss Cottage is back in full swing! I ambled through on Wednesday and paused a little longer at the stall for Wild Country Organics. I was encouraged to grab a handful of anything I wanted to try and nibble away... so of course I did. I started with the Bubble Cress, which fits its utterly delectable name. The flavor comes on mild then sort of percolates over your palate and gives you a little hint of pear and persimmon on the way out. Mmmmm. I moved on to Land Cress (wow! It sure did pack a wollop!) and then Claytonia (we called it Miner's Lettuce in California, mostly because of the gold rush miners who used it for nutrition and Vitamin C, I've been told), sorrel, lovely sweet broccoli called Kaibroc and so on and so on down Mizuna Lane just past Rocket Way- a lovely drive for my palate.
I brought my lovely bag of greens home with two beautiful mahogany colored radicchio, spotty and loose leaved, which I plan to braise in some brown butter and serve with pork roast this Easter Weekend. The bag of greens I shared with my lovely friend Florence and then made a simple salad dressing the greens in Winter harvest Olive Oil, mandarin orange juice and a pinch of Maldon Sea Salt. After all of the sharing and salad making I still had a good 2 cups of greens, so I decided to pull out an old recipe for Sorrel Sauce.
I first made this as an accompaniment for Salt Roasted Thai Snapper at a Secret Restaurant we used to host in our flat in San Francisco. I had quite a bit of greens other than sorrel, so the flavor was a bit less lemony and a bit more peppery. I imagine that I will poach some lovely eggs tomorrow and serve them on crostini with generous dollops of the Wild Greens Sauce on top.


Wild Greens Sauce

4 oz butter

2 cups chopped fresh sorrel, claytonia, land cress, bubble cress or the like

1/2 cup dry white wine

3 T minced shallots

1 1/2 cups tomato peeled, seeded and diced

1 cup double cream

1 T fresh lime juice

fresh ground white and black pepper

Melt butter. Combine sorrel, wine and shallots in heavy small saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sorrel wilts, about 2 minutes. Add tomato, cream and lime juice. Simmer until reduced to sauce consistency, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and purée until smooth. Season with ground white pepper and salt. The sauce is good right away but matures overnight if you have the willpower to wait!

Makes approximately 7 cups

No comments: